Sunday, July 02, 2006

Meme-ed!

Hmmm! So I got tagged and now I have to do a Meme for me! Well before I start there are 2 observations I feel obliged to make.

Even though Cabbages and Kings cautions us against confusing with the Meme tool, interestingly this meme business is connected to all the viruses and DNA replication and so on (my background in biology is limited). It is in fact defined as:

meme: (pron. 'meem') A contagious idea that replicates like a virus, passed on from mind to mind. Memes function the same way genes and viruses do, propagating through communication networks and face-to-face contact between people. The root of the word "memetics," a field of study which postulates that the meme is the basic unit of cultural evolution. Examples of memes include melodies, icons, fashion statements and phrases.

Read more about it here.


And as we are on the topic of cultural evolution, I feel obliged to compare this current blog rendition of a meme to silly old chain mails ... In fact thats what they primarily are with an extra dollop of pleaurable guilt... comprising of a mixture of narcisistic indulgence and exhibitionism... and I guess, thats what makes it entirely bearable, unlike the chain mails that were burdened with altruistic intentions. In fact, the chain mail was a little more robust in structure. It came with various fortune related incentives and disincentives that would surely befall the faithful if they broke the chain. This "meme" business actually has no reinforcing mechanism ... or maybe its the certainty that everybody will want to talk about themselves that does the trick. It still leaves one the opportunity not to tag anybody else (no incentives!), but then again, its fairly certain that within every exhibitionist hides a vouyer, and that does the trick, as each one of us go from exposing to viewing!!

Anyway, me and myself have decided to indulge.

I am thinking about...
not thinking any more.

I said...
"Haven't I already said enough?"

I want to...
drink a Bombay and tonic.

I wish...
I could get a new laptop

I hear…
... birds chirping

I wonder...
what its like beyond the rainbow

I regret...
not having any warm feelings

I am...
trying to type in reasonable responses about me

I dance...
by myself

I sing...
Sunshine on my shoulders ...

I cry...
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry

I am not always...
at the bar downtown ... just sometimes.

I make with my hands...
what my mind imagines

I write...
papers and proposals

I confuse...
names

I need...
a glove

I tag:
Prash
The Drunken Goat Farm

Whew!!! I feel like I have done my duty and can safely stake my membership to the community of "meme" bloggers.

1 comment:

neely said...

Oh Man!!!!! I'm not quite up to the tag stuff, but it does sound quite fun. So I have to tag another blog now? Well, ok then!

I'll work on it.

Great blog, dude!

Neely, of The Drunken Goat Farm