Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Outrage!

The bomb attacks on the local commuter train system in Bombay is an outrage against humanity. Having spent a very memorable time in the city and having lived and worked around some of the very stations that were attacked, I am naturally feeling hurt by the incident. I cannot imagine the plight of the families who have lost their near and dear ones in the blast.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

On the one hand we keep furthering and pursuing dialogues on tolerance. We seek to build inclusive open societies, we hope to dismantle barriers and treat all women and men alike and yet ... all such efforts are marred by such violent acts of cowardice and intolerance.

There can be no tolerance for intolerance. And even as I bawl in my anger I know that all I am spewing is intolerance ... yet, can we tolerate such acts of cowardice? It undermines the very fundamental assumptions that society functions on.

I don't know how to condole all the families who lost their own, or for that matter how to console the very people who met their untimely end, and in reality this is an inconsoleable loss. However, I do hope and pray for the following:
-> The Indian government can bring justice in the short run while focusing on long term solutions to growing Islamic fundamentalism
-> That Indians inspite of their hurt can stand up and face tomorrow with courage and hard work (as we have before) and also that other extremist factions don't cease on this to unleash what happened in Guajarat

A prayer for Peace ... or at least, some close approximation of it!

No comments: