Sunday, August 23, 2009

They are back ...

Remember my post about the illusion of stasis - that nostalgia tinged email about how wonderful it is to teach and see 'the kids' move on as we grayed over the years!!!

Well, yesterday while driving across the bridge we were accosted by this:



You guessed it! The students are back - new school year starts next week.

This is orientation week, so the entire town is full of fresh faced 18-year olds with a flock of over engaged parents in tow!!! This means that we have to cross the bridge and go to strange out of the way restaurants to escape from the flood of said parents and freshers.

New school year is upon us. I am teaching two senior classes this semester and advising three graduate students. Then of course there is the usually slew of proposals, papers etc.

Cynicism besides, I must say the excitement in the air is exhilarating and the energy is difficult to ignore :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun!

As for the "Free Cock Inspection", I'm still struggling to decipher what that's originally supposed to be...

Alan said...

@unsung - I have no clue. I think it was a random miscreant. This morning when I got to work I showed it to my secretary and her husband knows the owner - so we'll get to the bottom of this.