Monday, December 04, 2006

Memories

Its a cold snowy night. The woods in my backyard are still, yet strangely alive. Its silent but not dark. The blanket of snow is reflecting the light it absorbed all day - a memory of a day gone by. Tomorrow morning, when I will look out of my window, I will see footprints of deer that pranced around silently all night while I slept - memory of a night out.

I lie in bed watching the snow glowing on the bare branches outside my window - like cotton balls waiting to be picked. My thoughts stray. I think of the short summer nights when I'd be lulled to sleep by the wind - as it whispered sweet nothings to me at my window - while it gently rustled the million leaves on the very branches that - now stripped of all foliage - have fallen silent.

I reach for the phone.

The screen on my phone lights up in the dark, as memories of spring flash by. Love? Friendship? What was it? Maybe all it was, is the pain I feel. May be I do feel like crying and can't. May be ...

May be its just the glass of wine after dinner.

I put down the phone and continue to look at the still branch counting the memories of spring and the sweetness of a summer gone by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've spent many a night caught in that struggle. Choosing between the comfort of hearing his voice and the satisfaction of not giving in to the almost irresistible desire to call. Why do I desire and why do I resist?

Thank you for speaking for me.