Tuesday, October 10, 2006

In between Oz and Wonderland

When I get caught, willingly or reluctantly, at a faculty meeting, I feel like a cross between Dorothy and Alice. Displaced, curious and definitely not in Kansas anymore.

I look around the table and start identifying the Rabbit constantly checking his time-piece and complaining about how he is running late. The lion mopping his brow with the furry end of his tail. Then of course there are a few egos which keep growing till someone cuts them down to size... soon after which they start growing again. Almost everybody sounds like the mad-hatter. The Queen of Hearts decrees something absurd every once in a while. The dept. coordinator trying her best to sincerely note every opinion aired, reminding me of the jury at the trial. Then of course there are the Wizards and the Witches both good and bad from every corner of the dept.

So I follow the yellow brick road and avoid getting caught in poppy fields which may put me to sleep. And I try not to question why roses need to be painted a different color and usually hold my tongue when the verdict makes no sense.

Its only Tuesday, and I've already started writing letters to my left foot!

No comments: