Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Good, Bad and Ugly!

I believe that life is not about seeking happiness, for there is no such thing to be found. Instead it is about accepting that the world is imperfect. That we as individuals are not responsible for change, and in fact should not even try to change anything. In its imperfection there is a balance in the status-quo and all we should do is accept our conditions and play the roles that we are burdened with. Hence, each of us should dutifuly play the roles of son/daughter, wife/husband and mother/father. There can be no reason to stray from this pattern. It may not be perfect for some of us, but it is stable, and when followed honestly with humility and acceptance provides peace and stability. For some of us it calls for unselfish sacrifice, but isn't that what life is about ... giving a little of yourself to make things better for your family.
***
I believe that life is about an individual seeking happiness and that happiness lies in fulfiling dreams. Dreams - the sum total of an individual's deepest desires soaring the skies on the wings of free thought. Each individual is an unipue person with unique dreams and therefore only they themselves can seek their dreams and pursue happiness. It is true that the world is imperfect, but in seeking our dreams and being happy, we take the world a step closer to perfection. Of course, we need to give each other space to soar and respect each other's values, no matter how different they are from our own. As we all soar and explore, we change the world and make it better. The balance in the world is important, but it has to emerge from within our different flight paths - reflect our combined visions as we soar high and look afar. Of course, we will differ and there will be conflict ... but from the painful acceptance of a diverse view different from ours, we will live and let live and make space for each of our dreams, for isn't that what life is about ... understanding each other to make the world a better place.
***
I am in the middle ... I am not sure I believe in much, one way or another. I know what I need to do each morning, so that I can live another day. I am tired at the end of a day of hard work and find joy when I hold my dear children and when I am held. I worry about college tuition and about unexpected illnesses. I worry about the cold winter and hope the heat bills will be low. But all of it is worth it when I see the smile on the faces of my children, after all are they not what life is about ... the continuity of me an mine in them and their's.
***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite touching topics out here...shall come back and read it again.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone is stuck in the same muddle. What I have found over past few months is that Life is all about living, rather than about seeking happiness coz happiness can't be searched outside..it comes from within. As you know there are always two sides of the coin. Same is the case with happiness. If you will seek happiness definitely you'll get it but unfortunately it doesn't last forever. Sorrows are always ready to follow happiness. But accepting the present moment as it as and then taking suitable action brings peace and tranquility of mind.
According to me life is about living in the moment. Each day one wakes up and then gets busy in his usual routine..that's the case with most of the people..Very few people thinks, how can they make this day one of the memorable one. How am I going to make myself feel good.
Anyways life is very short and there are so many things everyone wants and more pathetically we hardly get any time to do the actual things we wanna do..
Nicely written post ..liked it, hence couldn't resist to post the comment...