Saturday, August 27, 2005

My Sidey!

Sidey? Thats the immediate neighbor to the left or the right... so you can have at most 2 Sideys. What about other people in the same level? Well you could call them Backeys and Oppys (not to be confused with poppies... which could be an endearment for Pop: previous occupant of your current position). Of course you'd expect people above you and below you to become your Toppys and Undies... well almost... they are your Undies and Bra!!! Its a very expressive nomenclature because you can express any room in your building as a linked reference wrt your point. A more detailed version takes care of buildings with multiple wings... believe me it works.

Who would want to? Well I recently read a book called "Tigers in Paradise," the collected works of Philip Jeyaretnam (a well known Singaporean writer), and in one of his stories the protagonist, a young resident in one of Singapore's many highrises looks out of his flat and contemplates relating all people living in the city by their position and orientation in space (5th floor across the street and so on) and thus creating floor families. I thought it interesting and promptly had an uncontrollable urge to shoot off an emal to the author about how in a certain corner of the world, people do make such families (room pop's Sidey's room grand daughter). Since I was flying from Singapore to LA at the time, and I couldn't sustain the urge over 16 hours, I never did email him. Boy!! That gives out some of my heritage!!!!

But anyway, my sidey on this spot is a Canadian Catholic organization. Thats nice. I grew up Catholic. They also seem to be a nice progressive bunch. Very nice. Howdy do eh?

While on the matter. I was having lunch at V's today and there was this bundle of life sitting at another table with a couple who seemed to be harrasing him about, what sounded like, his boyfriends. He was dark and a bit of a teddy bear and his hair was mildly accented a deep purple. He was lighting up the room with his helpless smiles and exclamations and pretensions of being wronged... :) I couldn't help overhearing the conv. and enjoying it. I was obviously eavesdropping and also abviously enjoying it. On their way out... this 100 Watt bulb actually said Hi to me, and that was when I realized that in future I should concentrate a wee bit more on the food. I blushed profusely and could barely return the greeting! I wonder if I'll run into him again!

Oh well!!!

No comments: